Sunday, May 18, 2008

Day 2 Princeton, NJ to Wilmington, Delaware 95 miles (sort of)... Tree

As much as you guys did your rain dances, it still poured on us today ('A' for effort, right?!). We left Princeton with beautiful weather. Our major stops today included Bucks County, PA and Phily. In Bucks County, we stopped at the Garden of Remembrance for a ceremony by local EMS and FD officials as well as their honor guard. At every ceremony at our various stops, three of the Minnesota students dress in their uniforms and read the names of the inductees. There are two individuals from that area that are being inducted in this year's Memorial and both of their families were in attendance. The Garden was built after the events of 9/11 for ALL the lives that were lost. In the photos, you can see the glass plates that line the walkway around the fountain. All the names of those lost are written on these plates. There was also a helicopter flyover, also in the photos.

From here, we rode on to Philadelphia. And, as expected since Friday, it began to rain. We arrived at Independence Park where many agencies across the state were present as well as various EMS and FD officials from the state, as well. We actually arrived there EARLY (yay! that means extra time to RELAX, eat, drink, go to the bathroom...). The ceremony was beautiful and moving. About a half a dozen Phily paramedics rode with us on their MOUNTAIN bikes. After the ceremony, the rain really began to come down. The ride organizers really wanted to shut down the course at this point but they let us continue riding the next 11 miles until Collingdale FD (Philly was mile 55). I rode one mile into the rain. Several people boarded vehicles at the park and did not attempt it. I thought I'd give it my best shot with the encouragement of a new friend. After a mile, once we got away from the downtown area of Philly, the wind was not being blocked anymore. Between the heavy rain and winds, I called it a day. It is so hard to get off the bike when your legs are still strong but I, and many others after me, decided it just wasn't worth the safety risk. The ride officially closed for the day. The good news is that the next five days are supposed to beautiful!

A big thanks to Tinicum FD for providing us a great rest stop, shelter from the rain, towels, hot drinks, and a dryer!! You guys rock!!!

Before I go any further, I really want to thank Geoff and TJ for their hardwork. They have been a huge help to the riders, keeping us safe throughout the route. It is great that they are not cyclists but offered the ride one of their passions.

When I first met Rita and Harlin Hanson, it was at their son's funeral. I had never imagined they would become such a huge part of my life. Many of you know that I heard about this bike ride during the week of his funeral when I was reading some back issues of the Journal of Emergency Medical Services (JEMS). Steve Berry has a regular column as well as cartoon in the magazine and one particular issue, he wrote about the bike ride. Before I was even done with the article, I knew this was something I was going to do to honor Eric. Line of duty deaths are not frequent in Central Texas or for Texas. Eric was an incredible individual and had an amazing future ahead of him being a paramedic. He decided to be a paramedic after 9/11 when he did some research that there was a nationwide shortage of paramedics. It is quite ironic that I am now riding side by side by many of the EMTs and paramedics of FDNY EMS that served our country then. Rita and Harlin have continually amazed me by their strength. They have supported the bike team without hesitation. We are honored to be here representing Eric, their family, Marble Falls Area EMS, and all of Central Texas including Austin/Travis County EMS. To give you an idea of what Rita is like, at Eric's funeral, as his casket was about to be lowered, she stopped the ceremony and thanked all the emergency workers for the sacrifice we make everyday we come to work, how we care and take care of citizens that are strangers to us, and blessed us to always be safe. In a conversation many months later, Rita was telling me of how when she sees a paramedic out in public, she goes up to them and gives them a big hug. Harlin made a joke that if Eric was an accountant, it would probably not be the same to hug a stranger like that in public. (I smile to myself just thinking of Rita doing this....).

It is true that EMS/Fire/Police are unique professions. I decided to be a paramedic because I was interested in practicing medicine and working on an ambulance. Working behind a desk 9 to 5 was not for me. I'm sure there are not many paramedics that got into EMS because of the brother/sisterhood it is -- that is NOT on the paramedic brochure but something that is realized once you are years into your career. In EMT and paramedic school, there is a prevailing theme reiterated semester after semester, and even afterwards when you are working for an agency: SAFETY. The first thing an EMT or paramedic ever does when they get on scene is something called SCENE SAFETY. You are taught that is first and foremost and by far the most important thing you could ever do. I remember in paramedic and EMT school (I think it was the first day...) being asked by one of our instructors, "whose safety is the most important?" Long pause... From the class you heard, "the patient." Wrong. The instructor answered, "You are. You are your number one priority ALWAYS." Your partner is your second priority and your patient is your third.

Being a paramedic is dangerous. As is fire fighting, as is being a police officer. That is something else you don't consider very much when you get into this career. We all wish there was not an EMS Memorial. No one in my paramedic class ever imagined that not a year and a half after graduation, that we would be at one of our classmate's funeral. I've met the families inducted last year and have read about the individuals being inducted this year. EMTs and paramedics that died from everything from heart attacks to a partner that fell asleep driving the ambulance. They are heroes. You don't think when you come to work that there is a chance you may not return or that you may return but so severely injured you will never work in your profession again. But, we do this, all the time, to serve the public, to keep them healthy and safe. The individuals made the ultimate sacrifice, they gave their life doing what they loved and did best, serving their community.

Eric was moved by all the first responders that died in 9/11. That they rushed in when they knew they were walking into this country's largest terrorist events. I cried today as his name was read in Philadelphia. He died doing what drove him to be a paramedic. This morning, I wrote on the piece of paper that has my rider number, "In memory of Eric and in honor of Kyla." You ride for everyone but thinking of those words on my back, pushes me just a bit harder and maybe for the person behind me, it does the same.

Goodnight and be safe out there...

1 comment:

mbs said...

Ride safe! Hope you get a tail wind!