Monday, May 19, 2008

Day 3 Wilmington, Delaware to Annapolis, Maryland, 80 miles... Tree

What a day.... 80 miles through the hills of Maryland with a high of 63 degrees and winds gusting 20-30 mph. (Not fun). Day 1 and day 2, my back was really getting sore. Today, with the help of many, my back was doing great, as well were my legs. After of about 30 miles of pulling another rider through all this, I was beat! Honestly, I'm not sure how I did every mile of this day following the last two days. This day feels like we actually did about 110 miles because of the winds. And, it was never at our backs, always a crosswind or headwind. When it was a crosswind, my back was being thrown about a foot from where I was trying to ride. As a headwind, I often had to get into a lower gear even going downhill. That is so not right!!!!

The end of the day, we arrived in Annapolis to a huge reception (see photos)!! Thank you so much, Annapolis! Tomorrow is our final big arrival before Roanoke -- in Washington DC. Team Texas must get pulled off the course and get dressed into our uniforms to meet Lloyd Doggett in his office. Of all the 24 states being represented, Lloyd Doggett was the only politician to respond to the Bike Ride's invite!!!

Thank you to everyone for your sweet emails, texts, and voicemails! I try to write when I can -- we wake up at 5am, hit the road at 7am, and if we are lucky, get to the hotel on our bikes by 7pm. Then there is unloading all of our luggage, checking into the hotel, showering, and dinner. Everyone has been so supportive -- it is noticed and appreciated!! The team sends their best!! Geoff and TJ are doing a great job of supporting the ride -- I get many compliments on their hard work from the other riders. And, Susan is fabulous!! She has stayed off her bike for physical reasons and also to be the ride director. The riders are also impressed by all her hard work! All the support staff just makes the riders job that much easier. Yay, support!

Off to bed... I haven't been sleeping well so with the aid of a little tiny pill and some earplugs, hopefully I can get some much needed rest. I'm fully lathered with my muscle rub and the pillows are calling my name.

Justin of Maine... we miss you!!!!!!

Amy, we and Team Maine are riding strong for your dad. We were deeply saddened when we heard of his accident and we are all looking forward to meeting you and your family in Roanoke.

Mike, keep peddling in Austin -- I'm thinking of you and you know Eric is watching over you.

.... Not only do we have to check trailers before we start riding after a rest stop but now we need to check the bathrooms. Shane of Tennessee got left behind at one of the last rest stops today!!!! (When everyone leaves and there is a bike just laying there... something has gone amiss!)...

be safe and thanks!!! we miss you!!!!!!!! ... keep doing the rain dance, tomorrow we have an 80% chance of rain with a high of 72. Riding today, we kept saying to each other it could be worse, it could have been raining. So, today the winds, tomorrow the rain. But, we keep going....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tree, thank you for posting a picture of Colleen. It was so nice talking to her the other day. I know all the families appreciate her taking the time to put a powerpoint together of paramedics killed in the line of duty. Part of what gives our family strength is the constant embrace of love and support that we receive from people in the profession that Eric so loved and served.
Kahlil Gibran wrote, "In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter and sharing of pleasure. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refresh." May this incredible effort afford each of the riders and support team the pleasure and bond of friendship and may each victory strengthen the team. Along the way and at the end of day may you each be nourished with laughter. I know Eric and each of the EMS people you are riding for would want that.
Your efforts will be recognized tomorrow as you meet Representative Lloyd Doggett in Washington D.C. What an incredible opportunity to bring awareness to the needs of EMS. Way to go Texas riders (Tree and Mark)and support team (Susan, Geoff, and TJ)!
It gave me a lot of comfort to read the comments by Amy, Allan Parson's daughter. The fact that she and her family will be there to embrace the Texas team as you ride into Roanoke this year is wonderful. I remember the joy and pride I had last year as I saw the team riding into the cirle of the Hotel Roanoke. That joy and pride is even stronger this year. Be strong and safe Texas Team; I am praying for your safety.
Peace,
Rita

Anonymous said...

My dearest Petunia,
I am so proud of you! You make my heart smile! Keep rowing those legs and know that you are making a difference! Tell you what, when you get home, I’ll buy you a cake! (ceak)!
Love ya, Patrick

Anonymous said...

If you ever ask a woman to decide between saving an infants life or fielding a infield pop fly, she will always choose to save the infants life....without even checking if there are men on base!
Doesn't mean anything, just wanted you to smile and know we are thinking of you and your efforts to bring awareness to the great people and cause of these annual rides. You are all being recognized more than you think. Congratulations and keep pounding that east coast terrain. See you @ home. Be first...be safe!